Protect the Ocean: Support the Clean Ocean Zone
We’ve come a long way from the days of dead marine life, raw sewage, medical waste and garbage washing-up on our beaches, ocean dumping of sewage sludge, acid waste, toxin-laden muck, and many other harmful activities. Today, the ocean off the New Jersey/New York Coast is dumpsite-free, cleaner, and healthier.
Did you know…The NY/NJ Ocean is Extraordinarily Valuable?
The marine life off our coast is among the most diverse in the country? Over 20 species of whales and dolphins, 4 species of seals, 5 species of sea turtles, and hundreds of fish and bird species inhabit our region. The rich bounty of fish supports a multi-billion dollar fishing industry employing thousands. Our beautiful beaches sustain a multi-billion dollar tourism industry that provides hundreds of thousands of jobs.
Crisis Averted…For Now.
Recently, three massive foreign-fossil fuel import facilities, renewed offshore drilling, and several new pipelines were proposed for the NY/NJ Bight. This industrial attack was unprecedented. A swift, strong, and dedicated community-coalition effort led by Clean Ocean Action thwarted this ocean industrialization—but this victory is tenuous at best. Make no mistake; the industrial raiders will be back. There are waste, oil, gas, pipeline, sewage, and pollution threats to our shores that require strong protections – for the sake of the ecosystem, public health, and the clean ocean economies that our communities rely on!
The Clean Ocean Zone (COZ) to the rescue.
Making the NY/NJ Bight the nation’s first “Clean Ocean Zone” would lock-out harmful, polluting, industrial activities off our coast, and lock-in permanent protection for future generations. You can help! The “Clean Ocean Zone” is a federal initiative drafted by citizens just like you who care about the quality of the ocean and its future. If implemented, the COZ will:
Reduce Pollution • Protect Marine Ecosystems • Support Clean Ocean Uses
- Keep the ocean dumpsite-free.
- Clean up the old contaminated Mud Dump Site with environmentally sound alternatives.
- Prohibit new point sources of pollution such as wastewater discharge outfalls.
- Protect valuable sand and gravel resources by prohibiting industrial strip-mining, while allowing beach replenishment activities.
- Prohibit industrial and non-renewable energy facilities and infrastructure, including liquefied natural gas complexes, and oil and gas exploration, development, and drilling.
- Require responsible decisions on renewable energy siting and development.
- Support recreational and commercial fishing.
- Support approved artificial reefs.
- Support and sustain maritime activities that depend on a healthy and clean ocean.
Be the Solution…
…Support the COZ!
For a copy of the COZ Bill, please click here.
For a copy of a Clean Ocean Zone Factsheet, please click here.